Pricing and Commissions

Saturday, January 21, 2012

New Work

Work in progress... click on photo to enlarge.

This piece is quite subtle. Lettered in a light blue gouache, with blind embossed, overlapping layers of clouds at the top of the piece.
Lettered in Moon Palace Sumi ink on watercolor paper, with hand painted initial capital and frog. I enjoy watching people's faces when they get to the last line.
I've always loved this blessing. Lettered in simple Uncial
with some color and gold on the first line.
Just a quick fun piece in complementary colors, with a sunburst at the top.
I used to sing this song to my kids at bedtime.
I had friends in Japan when the devastating earthquake and tsunami happened last March. I discovered a wonderful resource in Katz @ Yokoso News. People around the world spent many hours sharing information and listening to an insider's view of the disaster. We were all online when some of the larger aftershocks hit, and were actually able to watch Tokyo via skycam and see the buildings shake. The ability of the internet to bring the world together was incredible, and I felt a deep responsibility to share the information, much of which was not reaching the Western world. One night I got the image of golden ropes holding the earth together, wrapping it, binding it, keeping it from splintering into pieces. I did this piece quickly, without much planning, using a red circle to represent Japan, and only realized afterwards that the shape of the lettering block was almost a perfect circle to reflect the world above.
Lettered in 7 shades of gouache from turquoise to deep purple, with gold highlights. I love the decorative letter at the top, which is a Celtic capital with a Sherri Kiesel twist. A detail of me working on this letter is at the top of this page. I did another version in earth tones for a friend who has Native American heritage.

Strips of paste paper alternated with a deep violet blue italic. This piece is person, requested by my mother in memory of my nephew Cory, who passed away on his nineteenth birthday a few years ago. He loved to be outdoors, and we feel his spirit on the land my family owns in upstate New York.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Maggie, Don't know if you remember me from the library & Art in the Park...Thank you for sharing your new work. It is gorgeous, both in the art & design & in its spirit...

Jo R said...

Your work is wonderful. I found the last piece, to the young man, especially moving.

click here said...

Watch All Korean Dramas Online....!

dramacool